- March 27, 2017CEMEDINE CO., LTD. and NISSAN ARC, LTD. joined ISMA.
- April 1, 2016National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) started Basic R&D for Carbon Fiber Innovation.
- March 28, 2016Gonda Metal Industry Co., Ltd. joined ISMA.
- March 26, 201417 companies and 1 university joined ISMA.
- December 6, 2013Inauguration ceremony (in Japanese)
- December 5, 2013Establishment of ISMA Websites
- October 25, 2013Establishment of ISMA
Innovative Structural Materials Association (ISMA) has the purpose of technology development for drastic weight reduction in automobiles and other transportations. ISMA has also the purpose of technology development for strength improvement of steel, aluminum and other materials as structural components for the transportations.
Objective of establishing ISMA
For the drastic reduction of weight (by half) of transportation equipment, primarily automobiles, ISMA promotes the development of innovative materials joining technologies required to properly use newly developed materials in the right application, combined with the development of technologies involved in enhancement of the strength of major structural materials, such as iron and steel, non-ferrous, carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) materials, for transport equipment.
Directions in commercialization
Manufacturers and others of materials and transportation equipment will work together for:
- the development of materials joining technologies,and on:
- individual projects (development of innovative structural materials such as steel, aluminum, titanium, magnesium, and CFRP materials) in pursuit of commercialization that takes advantage of Japan's technological edge.
Projected timing for commercialization
For the development of materials joining technologies and individual projects, innovative structural material technologies that have been developed by FY2022 will be promptly applied to a wider use to the weight reduction of automobiles and other types of transportation equipment upon completion of the project, thereby promoting the commercialization of the innovative structural material technologies.
Technological Development of Innovative New Structural Materials
Framework for Research and Development
(As of April 1, 2017)